At my internship yesterday sifting through articles (I was hard core hoot-suiting) I came across a few talking about what successful women do in the morning. I thought it might be nice to have a similar list coming from a college PR girl ("in-training"). So sitting down with a scone, and an oversized cup of coffee I started to brainstorm. After fighting off the urge to eat more scones and downing more coffee, here is what I have for you lovelies. Am I missing something crucial for a good morning routine? Let me know in the comments!
Sometimes work gets hard, life speeds up and you look at yourself in the mirror realizing you're going to be 19 years old in less than two weeks. I'm still learning so much every single day, but over the past year i've had a chance to really become comfortable with myself. So much has happened in the past year; I moved to New York City, started college, started working in the city, lost weight, met new people, took a trip to Florida, went to a PRSSA conference in Boston & Charleston (i'm out of breath just thinking about all of that). It has been one crazy year.
The most important lesson from the past 365 days? It's up to me to find the beauty in life and in myself. I cannot put such an important principal into the hands of others. We are young, we make mistakes and learn about who we are. Knowing, loving and understanding yourself is very important. So what if you don't look like the girls on tumblr, or maybe you don't have an unlimited shopping budget. SO WHAT.
YOU are beautiful & YOU have to come to terms with this before anyone else can. Find the beauty in yourself, in life. Think about what you love to do, what your passions are and fuel yourself from them.
You may ask, is she going to tie this in with Public Relations? Oh yes I am. In this field you need to be comfortable with yourself before you can confidently represent a client. You have to be stable with your emotions before taking on a whole other entity to become comfortable with. Loving and understanding yourself is the corner stone of becoming a confident, top-notch Public Relations Professional.
Enjoy the day. xoxo
the Realities of college in Manhattan
The air is cooling down while the shoppers are walking faster. It's back to school time. Before you go out and blow those summer paychecks on a new fall wardrobe and too many Starbucks drinks, take a second to read these quick and honest realities of College life in New York City.
1. Work Hard, Play Hard isn't just something we yell as we down a bottle of cheap vodka. Most of my friends (including myself) balance jobs, internships, school, extracurriculars and social lives. We work our zumba toned butts off, go out until who knows what time, and then wake up early only to do it again.
2. We hate tourists. You look like an idiot when you stop in the middle of Seventh Avenue to take a picture with your ipad. Buy a damn camera.
3. You become an expert at knowing what food places are open until when. This becomes both comforting and scary.
4. School is sometimes on the back burner. Yes you still have A's, but your honestly more focused on work or your internship.
5. We drink way too much coffee. Seriously, we need an intervention.
6. We have become spoiled with public transportation. I remember when I went to Boston and was angry at the distance I had to walk to a subway stop. Plus I had to wait outside, in the snow.
7. Our minds are a chaotic, scary place, tackling multiple projects at a time while binge watching netflix and eating fro-yo.
8. You will ride the subways at 3am and every single time forget how long it takes between trains. Every. Single. Time. You will also meet the weirdest, most interesting, creepiest people underground on these rides.
9. Why would I ever want to go to Times Square. Unless it was for Buffalo Wild Wings.
10. You will have the most incredible memories, meet the craziest people and figure out who you want to be and where you're going in the process.